The building belongs to Shota Rustaveli Drama Theatre. Until 1953, a prominent Georgian director and one of the founders of modern Georgian theatre, Aleksandre (Sandro) Vasili Akhmeteli lived here.
On 19 November, 1936 Sandro Akhmeteli was detained by the officials of the Committee of Internal Affairs in a “Green Theatre” and transferred him from Moscow to Tbilisi. Sandro Akhmeteli was charged with being engaged in intelligence- espionage activities, being the member of Trotskyite -Zinovievist Counterrevolutionary Terrorist organization, etc. The case had been under investigation for 7 months.
On 28 June, 1937 the Military Collegium of the Supreme Court of the Soviet Union delivered the verdict of death penalty and seizure of property to Aleksandre Akhmeteli and other people working in the theatre – Platon Korisheli, Elguja Lordkipanidze, Ia Kantaria and Ivane Laghidze under Article 58 of the Criminal Code of the USSR. On 29 July, 1937, other employees of the Rustaveli Theatre – Tamar Tsulukidze-Akhmeteli, Buzhuzha Shavishvili and Nino Ghviniashvili were sentenced to 10 years of imprisonment.