Shota Rustaveli Ave. #8
||Shota Rustaveli Ave. #8
||V. Kokorin and G. Lejava
Alexander Nevsky Military Cathedral -> Government House of the Soviet Georgia -> Parliament of Georgia
Until the end of the XIX century, in the place of the Government House of the Soviet Georgia, this place was known as the so called Gunibi Square. In 1891 the cathedral was erected to commemorate the Russian victory in the Caucasus War against the North Caucasus mountainous peoples and was named after Alexander Nevsky.
In February 1921, its churchyard became a burial ground for the Cadets (Junkers) of Georgian Military School who fell in the fight with the Soviet Red Army defending Tbilisi on 18-24 February . As a result of urban terror during the Sovietization process, the cathedral was demolished in 1930 and by 1938 the construction of three of the buildings of the government house had been accomplished (architects – V. Kokorin and G. Lezhava) which were occupied mainly by the Council of Ministers and the Supreme Soviet. The construction of the lower building was completed in 1953. German prisoners of war who still happened to have stayed in Georgia took part in the construction process.
Today all four buildings house the legislative body – the Parliament of Georgia. According to the decision of the same institution the Parliament of Georgia will be moved to the second biggest city in Georgia – Kutaisi.