Pavle Ingorokva St. #3

In 1921-1925, Giorgi Alexandre Atarbegov (1891-1925) lived in this house. He was born in village Echmiadzin of Erevan governorate. He studied in progymnasiums of Baku and Erevan. He was involved in Marxist activities from an early age. In 1910 he entered the Law Department of Moscow University. In 1914, after his subsequent arrest he fled to Echmiadzin where he was hiding   for two years but was being persecuted there too for being the Bolshevik Party member. Atarbegov departed to Aleksadropol where he was promulgating Bolshevism among soldiers. In 1918 he participated in Bolshevik manifestations and upheaval in Sukhumi. At the end of the same year, as the troops had been driven out of Abkhazia, he moved to North Caucasus where he became the Deputy Chairman of North-Caucasian Extraordinary Commission and its actual leader. He is known for being relentless and ruthless.  Atarbegov personally took part in massive executions by firing squad. In 1919 he participated in the suppression of Astrakhan uprising where, according to some references, 1400 people were shot. For the atrocity he had revealed in Astrakhan uprising, Atarbegov was taken to Moscow under guard where All-Russian ExtraordinaryInvestigation Commission to Combat Counter-Revolution and Sabotagefound him guilty. However, as a result of the involvement of his influential friends - Stalin, Ordjonikidze and Kamo, Giorgi was acquitted and he   stayed under Felix Dzerzhinski’s subordination.

Atarbegov took part in routing operation for Mamontov’s liquidation. In 1920, during the Sovetization of Azerbaijan, he took part in massive execution of officers on the isle of Norgen. In January 1921 Atarbegov became the chairman of the Revolutionary Committee of North Armenian districts and the same year he took part in the suppression of Armenian uprising. From 1921 he started to work for the Extraordinary Committee of Georgia (Cheka). In 1925 he served as the representative of the People’s Commissar for the USSR Postal Service and  an Acting Deputy People’s Commissar for Workers’ and Peasant’s Inspection. On March 22, 1925 he died in an air crash, near Didube hippodrome. He is buried in the yard of the Blue Gallery.  


დოკუმენტები არქივიდან